There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle......
The other is as though everything is a miracle.

~Albert Einstein~

MAKING A DIFFERENCE

"what are you going to tell your granchildren... when they ask you....what did you do while an entire continent whitered away from AIDS?"
~BONO~


The more time that passes and the more that I learn about the Aids epidemic in Africa, the more I feel compelled to do something. These are my own personal feelings about what I feel I must do. Right now I feel helpless and useless because the problem is so big. I do know that bringing awareness is a first step and maybe that's what this is about today....bringing awareness. Everything we do in life starts with a decision, once someone has decided to do something they look for ways to make it happen. When we first started our journey of adopting 2 little girls from Africa, that's all it was. It is so much more then that now. I am not sure where our road is leading to....I just know it's heading towards Africa. Remember those prayers...."oh Lord I'll do anything....except go to Africa"

We have some wonderful friends, Mark and Colleen, who are hosting a Fundraising Barb-b-que. The bar-b-que is on June 16th in their backyard. We are so thankful that they are so supportive of what we are doing and are willing to do something. The proceeds are going to the Cafac Foster Home in Ethiopia. They need all kinds of things on an ongoing basis. For more information on the donations that are needed please see the link 'Donations'. If you would like more information on the event please e-mail me and I will send you a copy of the poster, rodanddeb@shaw.ca

There is a book called '28' by Stephanie Nolan.....In this book, Stephanie Nolen tells the stories of 28 Africans affected by the deadly AIDS virus. According to UNAIDS, the number of HIV-infected people in Africa is 28 million which, hence the reason why she is writting 28 stories. The numbers are astonishing.... by 2010, they predict that there will be between 25 and 50 million children orphaned by AIDS.

Jesse is reading a book called 'A long Way Home' by Ishmael Beah. This is a true story of a boy who was a child soldier and was saved from that life and has learned to forgive himself. He is now living in New York and telling his story to bring awareness .

These things are really going on.....and it has now become very personal to me because our girls come from that country. This might be a little heavy today, but this is what is on my heart. As always thanks for your support and your prayers, they are everything to me.

~Debbie~



2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Debbie and Rod;

    I know that heavy feeling... when your children are from a place where AIDS is as common as mosquito bites, you become inextricably linked. Here's a link to my "heavy day" post, so you know you are not the only ones :-)

    http://rowanfamilytree.wordpress.com/2007/04/29/a-heavy-day/

    Thanks very much for the heads up, Rod... I will order a copy today.

    Nicky
    Anonymous said...
    http://rowanfamilytree.wordpress.com/2007/04/29/a-heavy-day

Post a Comment